Thread: Humana Medigap?

Default Humana Medigap?

I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what % market share Humana has in the Medicare supplement market and if their recent rate reduction in Florida is also nationwide.

I do a lot of Medicare supplement business but have only done one Medigap plan with Humana and that was because the client wanted Silver Sneakers. Mostly, their supplement prices have never been competitive. Now, without much fanfare, I find the lowered their Medicare supplement plans in Florida and are the best priced plans in some areas.

What i am looking for is a reason to believe their price is stable and that they can continue to offer Silver Sneakers and be the low cost provider.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Senior Member Level 1 DavidBlock's Avatar

So it appears Humana has been in the market for 13 years. They are paring down their overall organization (they just sold off part of their group business) in order to focus solely on delivering medical related coverages across the individual (Medicare) and group arena. I doubt they will maintain their number 1 status long but hey are are solid company and worth considering.
    David M. Block, CLTC
    President
    Insurance Specialties, Inc.
    PO Box 1809
    Candler, NC 28715-1809
    800.358.8844 toll free
    828-667-1119 local
    828-667-2229 local fax
    www.insurance-specialties.com

I like Humana as a company, but they are mostly a MAPD provider. Medigap plans has always been an afterthought. I contacted my upline about this change in their Medigap strategy and even he was not aware of it. If I were Humana i would be shouting the price reductions from every roof top. Odd that most people I ask were not even aware of the price reductions. They don't show up on my quote machine either, so would not have noticed on my own.

New User Level 0

Humana is a leader in the East Texas area, and apparently has been for several years. This is my first year in this market, and I signed up more Humana policies than any other. Huge network participation in the medical community here with Humana.