Thread: I need your help, stuck in a tough situation

New User Level 0

Default I need your help, stuck in a tough situation

Hello everyone! I really need some input on my situation.

I signed up for pet insurance for my cat Bailey (accident & illness plan). It so happened that my cat got sick and threw up one day so I took him to the vet's office. At this time the accident part of the insurance was in effect. (I assumed that vomiting was an accident) So I thought it would have been covered and it wasn't. They said vomiting is not under the accident plan. I took him to the vet on the 28th and this was 2 days before the illness part of the insurance plan were to be in effect. If I would have waited those 2 days to take him to the vet it would have been covered. The vet ran several tests to see what was going on with Bailey and found nothing through those tests so the vet suggested the next step would be to take an ultrasound. I called the insurance to see if this ultrasound would be covered and they told me that it would not be covered since now it would be considered as a pre existing condition because I submitted an invoice that was dated 2 days before the plan was in effect. It was my mistake and should have planned this better. My cat is still sick and need to get him better. If the vet does not see anything through the ultrasound then the next step would be getting an endoscope (wired camera that goes inside the body to see what's going on internally). This could possibly even go to surgery. All these procedures will get very costly. The insurance company I'm with now is practically useless. I was looking into other insurance companies. So my main question is that if I decide to switch pet insurance company if my cat's information will be transferred over or if the new company can view my information. Will I be able to sign up for a new company and start fresh? I'm worried that if I switch that this will prevent me from getting the care my cat needs. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Super Moderator
    Level 10

You are on your own with this one. No coverage!
    X

New User Level 0

Quote Originally Posted by xrac View Post
    You are on your own with this one. No coverage!
    yes i agree with you

Unfortunately vomiting is not considered an accident, that's a regular thing for a cat. Routine care including vaccines, dental work, etc are not covered either.