Thread: Has anyone received a GOOD cold call?

Member Level 0

Default Has anyone received a GOOD cold call?

I am SO SICK of receiving cold calls. Both at work and at home. Grrr. Makes me worry about cold calls I make, but I think I am different, not an annoying person when I call. If someone needs to get off the phone, I let them, don't try and keep talking etc. What do you guys think???

Super Moderator
    Level 10

If I am not busy I enjoy a good telemarketing call. I like to listen to their technique, their wording, closes, etc. If someone is good I compliemnt them even though I would never buy. The biggest problem with telemarketing is that very few are good at it. I hate it when they start out with "How are you today"?

Member Level 0

Quote Originally Posted by xrac View Post
    If I am not busy I enjoy a good telemarketing call. I like to listen to their technique, their wording, closes, etc. If someone is good I compliemnt them even though I would never buy. The biggest problem with telemarketing is that very few are good at it. I hate it when they start out with "How are you today"?
    Absolutely true!! I also hate those. And I hate the long lag when they're using those auto dialer programs. And tinny voices behind headsets...but I do listen. The MAIN thing I cannot stand is if you try and be polite (which I try) and not hang up but instead say, I'm sorry I have to go, they keep talking as if you have not said anything! Then I hang up.

As a person in sales, I ALWAYS try and give a moment to listen to their spiel. But only a moment!

New User Level 0

Cold calling is cold calling. Disturbing people in the middle of anything is troublesome. But if you provide something that they can benefit from it.

Senior Member Level 3 Dan Williams's Avatar

I feel some compassion for these poor souls...must be tough to sell crap nobody really wants.

I've had two gals in 26 years that were awesome telemarketers...still have the second one working. Amazing how people fall in love with her after talking on the phone for a few minutes. Wish I could clone her

Couple things I noticed besides her genuine sweetness....she speaks slowly and identifies herself immediately as working with a well know agency right here on xyz street. She also offers them a chance to exit the call within a couple seconds...amazingly, she gets very few hangups.

Member Level 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Williams View Post
    I feel some compassion for these poor souls...must be tough to sell crap nobody really wants.

I've had two gals in 26 years that were awesome telemarketers...still have the second one working. Amazing how people fall in love with her after talking on the phone for a few minutes. Wish I could clone her

Couple things I noticed besides her genuine sweetness....she speaks slowly and identifies herself immediately as working with a well know agency right here on xyz street. She also offers them a chance to exit the call within a couple seconds...amazingly, she gets very few hangups.
    That really is the key to cold calling. Give people a way out. Most just want the option, but will listen. Those that take the out, you weren't going to do business with them anyway.
    Last edited by UTFan; 12-01-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Member Level 0

I think also alot of companies get what they pay for. If they want to pay pennies to have someone overseas who doesn't have the first clue about your business doing "dials" and they think that's the key, then you will have lots of calls made and not much else. Having a savvy business person on the phone (like you as the principal) or someone as competent, makes all the difference. That's my opinion.
    Leah is an agent representing PJO Brokerage, business insurance brokers handling everything from contractors insurance to nursing home insurance and everything in between. PJO Brokerage is a one stop shop arizona business insurance broker for liability coverage and more.

New User Level 0

I guess it might seem annoying, but I do have to hand it to them for having the courage to make those calls.