Thread: HOA Responsibilty for Roof Maintenance

New User Level 0

Default HOA Responsibilty for Roof Maintenance

I recently asked my HOA if they would pay for an inspection of my townhouse roof after a heavy hail storm as the covenant states they are responsible for the maintenance, repair, and replaced of roofs as a Common Area.

They have replied "We all agreed that "hail damage" is definitely an insurance matter. Since all townhome owners have their own individual insurance policies, it is up to each owner to contact their insurance company themselves if they choose to file a claim. They should ask the insurance company to inspect their roof and decide if they have damage and whether the insurance company will pay for a new roof. Each owner would then be responsible for their own deductible and for finding someone to do the work. We, the Townhome Asso, are responsible for maintenance of roofs, not damage covered by insurance."

Is this true or just their way of avoiding expense? Also should I pursue this with my state’s Attorney General's Consumer Complaint office? Thanks.

Senior Member Level 1

Hm, I think they could be avoiding expense. You should find out if they are right. Find out about their responsabilities.

Super Moderator
    Level 10

Does the HOA carry insurance on the buildings and roof or are they only additional insureds on the individual owners policies. From just the information provided it looks like this is their baby. However, rather then go into litigation if I have insurance I would contact a roofing company and ask them to come out and take a look and see if you need a new roof or repair. They will usually do this for free. You can then take this information and go to your insurance company and to the Home Owners Association.

Member Level 0

The roof is part of the structure of the building so should be covered under the HOA's insurance and not your condo owner insurance. I think that's rubbish and you should write another strongly worded letter to the HOA before pursuing with the state's AGCC office. Sometimes the HOA just needs a little push before they're willing to move. Remember, these are all people who volunteer their time to be on the HOA so really they aren't that motivated to do much work.

Member Level 0

If you are owing that place then definitely it is your responsibility to do the expenses on repairing, but if town home association is responsible for the maintenance then they should do the essentials.

Senior Member Level 1 marindependent's Avatar

Without knowing all of the facts and without seeing the master insurance policy and unit owners insurance policies, my first opinion is that this "response" seems fishy. I find that Condo Associations often do not understand their own insurance policies and are often afraid to reach out to their independent insurance agent to find out what the deal is.

To be able to fully help you I believe we would need to know the nature of the ownership of the actual buildings. The term townhouse could mean multiple things.
    Scott W Johnson
    Whole Vs Term Life Insurance
    415-294-5454 CA LIC 0K10734

Share This Thread!