Thread: AC gone out in North Carolina

New User Level 0

Default AC gone out in North Carolina

My wife and I were in vacation and when we returned to our house we found the central air unit was not working and the temp in our house was 90 degrees! Well I called our AC guy only to find he was on vacation until the next week. So I got an AC guy from the yellow pages. When he arrived I told him what I knew and he inspected the unit.

When he inspected the unit he said he believed the unit was hit by lightning. There were storms in the area when we were gone but we were not there. So we did not witness it. I have no reason to doubt that it was hit by lightning. He seemed honest to me and not shady at all.

Anyway, the house is still 90 degrees and my family from out of state is coming in two days to a very hot house. I called my insurance company and they told me I may have to wait for 48 hours for an adjuster to come in. Now, normally I would be patient about this but it is record hot temperatures and the house is unbearable. People are dying in this heat wave.

Would it be OK to get the job done and then come back and ask to receive my claim. The AC guy told me gave me his number and told them that if they had any questions that they could call him.

Am I being unfair to ask for them to get it done ASAP? Should I just accept the adjuster to come whenever he can?

Thanks.

New User Level 0

I really just wanted an honest answer. If I am wrong in my thinking, please tell me. What is reasonable on my end?

Super Moderator
    Level 10

If I were in your situation I would go ahead and get it fixed. I would be careful to photograph the areas that the HVAC guy thinks were hit by lightning. I would have him complete the work and I would save all old parts. I would take down a word for word statement from the HVAC documenting why he thinks it was lightning. Then be prepared to argue your case with the adjuster. This may or may not work but the heat has been terrible.

New User Level 0

Thanks for your answer. I will call my insurance guy tomorrow and see if they can get somebody out by noon or 1. If they can't do that I'll go ahead and get the HVAC guy to install it. It needs to be done regardless. I've never ever made a claim before on my policy in the 10 years we lived at this house. I don't see why they would refuse it if the HVAC guy documents it, etc. I also found out we did indeed have a wicked storm on Sunday (of course we were not home at that time). Regardless, we need to do something. I was able to get a wall air conditioner today and we are all in one room with the door closed. But it is 87 now just outside the room in the hallway.

New User Level 0

I called my local insurance agent this morning. They called me back and told me someone from the insurance company would call me soon. It is now 1:15 and I have not received any phone call. I alos checked my insurance company on the internet and found their rating for claims to be very poor with slower than usual response time. I've had this insurance company for years and never made a claim. It looks like I'll be getting someone else after this. Today the temp is a little cooler and the house is only at 85 in the hallway where the thermostat is.