Thread: Beware the 'change of address' with Swinton Bike Insurance / Axa

New User Level 0

Default Beware the 'change of address' with Swinton Bike Insurance / Axa

Dear all,

I just need to vent some frustration and hopefully warn a few others about an extremely unfair situation I've just had to deal with.

Having lived in Birmingham for the first 10 months of a 12 month motorcycle insurance policy with Swinton, I called them today to change my address having just moved to London.

However, Axa who have underwritten that particular policy, won't insure any bikes in my NW6 postcode that aren't kept in a garage (slightly limiting if you live in flat in North London). So I've effectively had to pay a 50 admin fee to cancel my policy, despite being quite content with it. I was then quoted 1200 to renew a policy that was previously 900, and whatever happens, I lose my 2nd year no claims bonus because I'm two months shy of earning it. The only option Swinton would give me is starting a brand new policy with them, underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance, who apparently don't mind that I don't have a garage.

In the end I cancelled my Swinton Cover, with the 50 cancellation fee I think they owe me about 19, and I got a much cheaper quote of 800 with eBike Insurance, but I can only claim 1 year no claims rather than 2.

Frustrating times.

Matt

Member Level 0

That was really bad news for you, it is due to the terms and conditions which are applicable at the time of purchasing policy. If people read all the documents carefully then they will not face this type of problems.

Super Moderator
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by love shack View Post
    Dear all,

I just need to vent some frustration and hopefully warn a few others about an extremely unfair situation I've just had to deal with.

Having lived in Birmingham for the first 10 months of a 12 month motorcycle insurance policy with Swinton, I called them today to change my address having just moved to London.

However, Axa who have underwritten that particular policy, won't insure any bikes in my NW6 postcode that aren't kept in a garage (slightly limiting if you live in flat in North London). So I've effectively had to pay a 50 admin fee to cancel my policy, despite being quite content with it. I was then quoted 1200 to renew a policy that was previously 900, and whatever happens, I lose my 2nd year no claims bonus because I'm two months shy of earning it. The only option Swinton would give me is starting a brand new policy with them, underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance, who apparently don't mind that I don't have a garage.

In the end I cancelled my Swinton Cover, with the 50 cancellation fee I think they owe me about 19, and I got a much cheaper quote of 800 with eBike Insurance, but I can only claim 1 year no claims rather than 2.

Frustrating times.

Matt
    The policy coverage you had had coverage and rates applicable to a geographic area. When you moved from that location you changed the conditions they had underwritten. In the US you often experience the same thing when one moves from state to state. Some companies do not provide coverage in some states. This is especially true with health insurance and also with P&C. If I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and then move to New York City, New York, then my rates and/or company coverage will change.