Thread: Identity Theft and You

Default Identity Theft and You

If you have a bank account, credit card, social security number or driver’s license, pay close attention: you’re at risk for identity theft.

Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personally identifying information, like your name, Social Security number, or credit card number, without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.

The Federal Trade Commission estimates that as many as 9 million Americans have their identities stolen each year. In fact, you or someone you know may have experienced some form of identity theft.
    The crime takes many forms. Identity thieves may rent an apartment, obtain a credit card, or establish a telephone account in your name. You may not find out about the theft until you review your credit report or a credit card statement and notice charges you didn’t make—or until you’re contacted by a debt collector.

To see a video on Identity Theft CLICK HERE

Identity theft is serious. While some identity theft victims can resolve their problems quickly, others spend hundreds of dollars and many days repairing damage to their good name and credit record. Some consumers victimized by identity theft may lose out on job opportunities, or be denied loans for education, housing or cars because of negative information on their credit reports. In rare cases, they may even be arrested for crimes they did not commit.

Farmers Insurance offers Identity Theft Protection in its Next Generation Homeowners Policy. Farmers Identity Shield provides you with the opportunity to proactively manage your identity through credit reports and credit and public records monitoring. Also, should you become a victim of identity theft, Farmers provides professional assistance in identity restoration 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

CLICK HERE to get a home quote with Identity Theft Protection.

New User Level 0

Nice to know some solutions for identity thefts..i need that badly.

i have this problem someone keeps using my credit card in different countries how do I stop this, my credit card provider have reversed thecharges most of the time but they have told me that if it happens again they will not stop the charges.

This is the first time I have heard of identity theft protection.

Thanks for the info!

New User Level 0

Hello
    1. Beware the Word "Prevent"

No person and no product can prevent identity theft. As long as criminals can benefit from stealing, there will be theft. Sensitive personal information (SPI) is everywhere, housed and archived in a mind-boggling variety of ways. Individuals and companies can reduce access to SPI and improve safeguards around it by working to change how we share, collect, store and dispose of information.

2. There Are No Guarantees

This mantra holds true for a lot of things in life and dealing with identity theft is no exception. While a number of instances of fraud can be restored to pre-theft status, some identity dilemmas simply can’t be fixed. If you’re on the ‘no fly list’ thanks to an imposter or an error, you’ll stay there. A third-party solution cannot deliver a remedy.

3. Watch for "Shoulder Surfers" and "Skimmers"

Shield the entry of personal identification numbers (PINs), and be aware of people standing entirely too close by when using your credit or debit card in public. Especially with the advent of cell phone cameras, a sneaky, shoulder surfing thief can get your private information pretty easily, if you’re not careful. It’s also advisable to use teller machines that are familiar to you, so you are in a better position to identify when the equipment looks different or doesn’t “feel right.” Your increased awareness may reveal a skimmer’s attempt to steal PINs and banking details at that site.