Thread: How the Obama Health Care Plan Affect’s Medicare

Member Level 0

Default How the Obama Health Care Plan Affect’s Medicare

A doctor friend asked me what I was working on. I told her I was writing; the topic was a straightforward, no-nonsense look at how the new healthcare bill will affect Medicare, the government run program that provides health care to over 37 million American 65 years or older. I wanted my work to be a well-balanced article, not shaded by partisan politics or opinion; I wanted only the ‘facts.’ My friend laughed and told me that was a rather presumptuous thing I was doing, as no one else has been able to do that before. With that she wished me luck, and walked away.

Undaunted, I set out to do some research. Newsweek, Forbes, CNN, Fox News, the New York Times, AARP, Medicare.com, among others touted the pros and the cons of the Obama Health Care (the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act). Most pundits generally do agree on one thing: : Medicare has been in financial trouble for years and something must be done to fix the problem. However, it seems that depending upon who is asked; the changes to Medicare would either greatly help, or hurt most seniors. It was the best thing – or the worst thing – to ever happen to Medicare in modern times.

So which was it? Is reform good or bad?

Member Level 0

I agree with you in this matter.. well.. in some areas.
    We need reform as its bad.. well.. I can't imagine Obama in control on everything.. I guess its more on the services needed.

New User Level 0

Senior health care, or Medicare, has had some impact from health care reform. Medicare Advantage plans are subsidized by the government. Some carriers offer a Medicare Advantage HMO plan that has no monthly premium. A lot of carriers are cutting that plan except in Florida where they got a carve out. The reason they are cutting the program is because the government will no longer subsidize the plan. For a retired person on a fixed income that could be a problem.
    Medicare is also offering 50% coverage on part D when a person reaches the donut hole. The total out of pocket expense has not changed, however.

Member Level 0

The government subsidizes Medicare? Isn't it the other way around? The information I've read suggests that Medicare should have a huge surplus, but the government has been borrowing from Medicare since its inception. So Medicare's coffers are nothing but IOUs from the government.

Ok... Old post but just Jason he rises from the dead.... Obamacare can only help folks selling med sups and not advantage plans... That's the only part of this stupid plan I support

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyGutz View Post
    Ok... Old post but just Jason he rises from the dead.... Obamacare can only help folks selling med sups and not advantage plans... That's the only part of this stupid plan I support
    I strongly agree with you