Thread: My Story, can I get insurance?

New User Level 0

Default My Story, can I get insurance?

I was never sick until 2004 (at age 47). I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy and hypertension. I had great insurance at the time and then about a year later we moved and were on Cobra. I had gone thru alot of problems trying to find the right drugs and finally I had one that was working so once we went on Cobra they said they would no longer pay for that drug and wanted me on a substitute. Since my Cobra was already near $400 a month I got mad and cancelled the whole thing. I had no idea you can't just take your business elsewhere. STUPIDIST THING I HAVE EVER DONE.
    Anyway, so when I tried to get insurance again I was denied.
    I have been hobbling along, getting my meds from Canada and actually was doing OK for a few years, I was what they called well compensated on my meds.
    For past few months I have had some pain and Dr. ran blood tests which say my liver enzymes are way high and they want to do ultrasound. I can pay for it even tho it is very expensive but nurse told me that now I can get insurance with new laws so I went online and sure enough it looks like I can.
    My biggest question is about timing. If I buy the insurance today and my ultrasound is next week will they pay if something is wrong. I know that I will have a $2500 deductible so I will have to pay for the ultrasound but I mean if I need more things will they pay or will they look at it like something that happened before insurance...?
    Thanks!

New User Level 0

I am not understanding your answer. Ask my agent? What agent? As the title of my post reflects I don't have any insurance and want to get it therefore don't have an agent.
    I went on einsurance and applied to 3 places, all denied.
    funny thing is that if I have cancer I will just cost the taxpayer more in treatment than if they would just let me pay for my insurance, the system is very broke in my opinion.

New User Level 0

If you have been uninsured for six months or longer then you would be eligible for the federal PCIP (Pre-existing Condition Insurance Program). This is a temp risk pool under ObamaCare. Depending on which state you live in it will either be a federal PCIP or a state-run PCIP. The plans are decent, not terribly expensive for high risk coverage and your declines (you need the carrier decline letters not anything from ehealth) qualify you as long as you've been uninsured for six months.

Given your health conditions and history this would be the best and easiest way to go for you.

https://www.pcip.gov/

New User Level 0

Thanks Dave, this hopefully is very helpful. I got the denial from einsurance but am waiting for the official one from Blue Cross and others so then will apply and let you know what happens!