Thread: Can pet insurers keep putting the fee up every year legally?

New User Level 0

Default Can pet insurers keep putting the fee up every year legally?

I have had my Shar Pei insured for around 6 years with the same company. It started off around 18 a month which was a little expensive but worth it. Over the years she has developed a couple of conditions which require daily tablets etc. Each year since i started claiming they have put the monthly installment up by what i think is an unfair ammount. I now pay 65 a month! Which is double what i pay for my Bupa subscription! I feel that surely this is not allowed but they think that no other insurer would take Tia on at age 6 with certain medical conditions so they can do as they please and continue to rip me off. Any advice would be much appreciated?

Regards

Cole

Member Level 0

it depends on the plan better read the instructions carefully before signing it most of them increase the rate its obvious due the increase in inflation and the age of your pet

New User Level 0

Unfortunately this isn't even remotely uncommon. They know you will keep paying for your pets health, so they will gouge you as much as they can.

You should definately look around and see if you can find some alternatives but be aware that pet insurance does become insanely expensive the more your pet becomes ill and the older it gets (combine the two together and your in trouble).

Pet insurance is a bit of a scam really. IMO

New User Level 0

Hi,

Because insurance is best used as protection against catastrophic expenses -- not those you could easily pay out of pocket -- the question becomes: How deep in the hole would you go for your pet? And then could you afford to pay those costs yourself?

New User Level 0

Pet Insurance can be a lifesaver for emergencies but then you have weigh up whether you would be better off saving that 65 pounds a month into a bank account - over a year you'd have over 700 pounds! That should be a good amount for a rainy day - insurance though is essential should your dog be injured in an accident or require operations etc and where teh costs could run into 1000s of pounds,.... its a hard one...

Share This Thread!