Thread: change in title

New User Level 0

Default change in title

My husband recently passed away and I am wondering if I need to remove his name from my homeowners policy. If God forbid; I should have a claim I am concerned that if his name is still on the policy I would have problems cashing the check.
    On the other hand I would like to know if I remove his name will this trigger a red flag and cause the company to cancel or non renew my policy. I live in Fl and some of the companies are just looking for a reason to cancel/non renew policies.
    Thanks

Senior Member Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by roscarol View Post
    My husband recently passed away and I am wondering if I need to remove his name from my homeowners policy.
    Yes.

If God forbid; I should have a claim I am concerned that if his name is still on the policy I would have problems cashing the check.
    Exactly why you should remove his name from the policy. Probably a good idea to redeed the house to your own name, too.

On the other hand I would like to know if I remove his name will this trigger a red flag and cause the company to cancel or non renew my policy. I live in Fl and some of the companies are just looking for a reason to cancel/non renew policies.
    Thanks
    I seriously doubt it.

Member Level 0

Removing his name from the policy is a good idea so you don`t have any problem whatsoever with cashing the check. And I don`t think you have to worry about red flags. This won`t be the case in your situation.