Thread: Exchange Student Health Insurance Backdate

New User Level 0

Unhappy Exchange Student Health Insurance Backdate

Dear all,

This is my first time on the forum as I have never needed health insurance before, so forgive me some mistakes.
    Right. I arrived in the USA from England on the 13th of August 2010. As a citizen of the U.K. I have never had health insurance before. I am doing a one year study placement, J-1 visa type, at Iowa State University. They are trying to force me to buy Aetna health insurance for around $800 per semester. I have found cheaper health insurance, about $700 cheaper, but they say in order to switch the insurance must meet certain criteria.
    It has to have a pay out, or whatever that's called, of at least $50,000.
    It has to cover certain things, which I can detail if necessary.

And here's the killer:
    It has to be backdated from August 13th.

Now I've found insurance that meets all the right criteria and is cheap, but they say they can't backdate due to people claiming on backdated insurance, which sounds kinda fair enough. What I need to know is if there is any company, or any proceedure, that will allow me to do this and is cheaper than $800 per semester. I don't mind putting it in writing that I won't claim for the backdated period, whatever, I just really resent being forced to pay this much simply because the University is in bed with Aetna.

As I've said, I have no experience with health insurance, on indeed any insurance, whatsoever, so please don't be afraid to condescend. Any help at all would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks,
    Flinn

Senior Member Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post

As a citizen of the U.K. I have never had health insurance before. I am doing a one year study placement, J-1 visa type, at Iowa State University.
    I am aware that the UK has socialized medicine and everybody is covered. But isn't there some provision that coverage extends to you when you are out of the country?

They are trying to force me to buy Aetna health insurance for around $800 per semester.
    Who is "they"?

And what do you mean by "trying to force me"?

You should be able to buy insurance wherever you want to buy it. This is America, dammit. Home of the brave, land of the free.

I have found cheaper health insurance, about $700 cheaper, but they say in order to switch the insurance must meet certain criteria.
    It has to have a pay out, or whatever that's called, of at least $50,000.
    It has to cover certain things, which I can detail if necessary.
    Again, who are "they"? And what gives "they" the right to dictate the where and the what of your insurance?

And here's the killer:
    It has to be backdated from August 13th.
    That's not gonna happen. Insurance companies rarely backdate coverage. Could happen under COBRA:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm

But I don't see how COBRA would apply to you.

Now I've found insurance that meets all the right criteria and is cheap, but they say they can't backdate due to people claiming on backdated insurance, which sounds kinda fair enough. What I need to know is if there is any company, or any proceedure, that will allow me to do this and is cheaper than $800 per semester. I don't mind putting it in writing that I won't claim for the backdated period, whatever, I just really resent being forced to pay this much simply because the University is in bed with Aetna.
    You could just tell those university people to "bugger off" and buy your insurance where it suits you.

Unfortunately, though, we don't know yet what authority the university has to dictate where you buy insurance.

You would be wise to try to find that out.

Senior Member Level 2

It's always hard to find anybody that will backdate. Certainly, brokers won't.