Thread: Help me. Empire Blue "Tradition Plus Hospital" Plan, $150/month. Worth it?

New User Level 0

Default Help me. Empire Blue "Tradition Plus Hospital" Plan, $150/month. Worth it?

I'm unemployed and am looking for cheap insurance. I'm starting to think there's no such thing.

I used ehealthinsurance, which seems to be the most prominent web health insurance "retailer". This plan looked attractive because it covers emergency room visits @ only $150 a month. I signed on

For several months I've tried to get a full explanation of benefits sent to me. They never did... citing "we're behind on our mailings".

So today I called and asked for the information straight up. It consists of 2 things:
    1. Operating Room
    2. Emergency Room & Board

she explicitly said "no doctor charges covered"

My doctor friend told me that depending on what's wrong with you when you come into the emergency room, many different types of fees can be charged. you break a bone for example, and you will be paying everything. Is this insurance even worth it?

New User Level 0

You had chose the wrong insurance provider my friend, before
    signing on something you should be aware of all the things around you
    well in choosing an insurance provider it is really important to first take
    a review of their deals to offer you, you should be sure of the benefits
    they can give you this is a very important step

New User Level 0

can you actually provide any backup to your claim?

What they cover may be worth what they charge me. I'm asking if anyone has any ideas, anecdotes, or ruminations that might help me figure out whether it is or not.

You obviously don't if all you have to offer is "you should be sure of the benefits before you sign on"... this much is obvious.

Super Moderator
    Level 8

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 20 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Bootyology
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 20 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I'm unemployed and am looking for cheap insurance. I'm starting to think there's no such thing.

I used ehealthinsurance, which seems to be the most prominent web health insurance "retailer". This plan looked attractive because it covers emergency room visits @ only $150 a month. I signed on

For several months I've tried to get a full explanation of benefits sent to me. They never did... citing "we're behind on our mailings".

So today I called and asked for the information straight up. It consists of 2 things:
    1. Operating Room

My doctor friend told me that depending on what's wrong with you when you come into the emergency room, many different types of fees can be charged. you break a bone for example, and you will be paying everything. Is this insurance even worth it?
    You need an insurance agent that can find the right coverage for you. Tell us what state are you in and how can an agent email you and help you.

Super Moderator
    Level 9

Mark is right. You need a knowledgeable agent who can explore options for you. Tell us what state you are in and we can try to find somone for you. One of the cheapest options often is a short term temporary policy.

thank you for sharing this information. this article is very helpful.
    If you have questions and need to know more about health insurance just visit this site:

http://learningcenters.us/

Life, Health and Auto INSURANCE
    http://insureme.us/

New User Level 0

Originally Posted by Bootyology
    1. Operating Room

This is complete misinformation, whoever you called misled you or was uninformed his/herself. The Empire TraditionPLUS health plan is a HOSPITAL PLAN, which means it covers everything provided by employees and facilities of hospitals and ambulatory centers. This includes x-rays, lab tests, surgery, in patient medical supplies & medication, etc etc.

The rub here is the word "employee". To get the service covered, you have to be certain that the physician is an employee and not an independent contractor. This is where I presonally need more information, what percentage of hospital workers are employees of the hospital?

This is by far the cheapest plan out there and is not offered on a group basis. I've been told that agents go out of their way to avoid mentioning this plan to their potential customers because there's no money in it for them. But it is clearly the best in terms of catastrophic protection in case you need major care and are willing to go out of pocket here and there for regular medical needs (which is cheaper than typical comprehensive $450+ plans)

Member Level 0

You may want to look into the Mantra Health plans. They are under $100/mo. Lots of options to choose from!

New User Level 0

Originally Posted by Chelsea
    You may want to look into the Mantra Health plans. They are under $100/mo. Lots of options to choose from!
    Mantra doesn't cover New York State

New User Level 0

Originally Posted by NYC
    This is complete misinformation, whoever you called misled you or was uninformed his/herself. The Empire TraditionPLUS health plan is a HOSPITAL PLAN, which means it covers everything provided by employees and facilities of hospitals and ambulatory centers. This includes x-rays, lab tests, surgery, in patient medical supplies & medication, etc etc.

The rub here is the word "employee". To get the service covered, you have to be certain that the physician is an employee and not an independent contractor. This is where I presonally need more information, what percentage of hospital workers are employees of the hospital?

This is by far the cheapest plan out there and is not offered on a group basis. I've been told that agents go out of their way to avoid mentioning this plan to their potential customers because there's no money in it for them. But it is clearly the best in terms of catastrophic protection in case you need major care and are willing to go out of pocket here and there for regular medical needs (which is cheaper than typical comprehensive $450+ plans)
    thanks for your perspective. i am a current beneficiary of this hospital plan and am now facing prohibitive doctor's fees for orthopedic surgery for an accident since, as you rightly ask, "what percentage of hospital workers are employees of the hospital?" in nyc, i haven't found any that exist. needless to say, i welcome and any all suggestions of orthopedists who are. from my experience, this plan is great if nothing happens to you. if something actually does, you will be paying back all those premium savings in spades.