Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Health Insurance so Expensive

New User Level 0

Default Why is Health Insurance so Expensive

Why is HI so Expensive?

I have heard and believed the excuses.

For example, consider someone who has asthma. It is routine. Go to the doctor for a few minutes, blow a thing, get a prescription for a couple of mass produced inhaleres.

Now it costs a lot more. Where is all the money going?

I am not sure I believe it any more.

Senior Member Level 2 Norwayguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iyartigtf View Post
    Why is HI so Expensive?

For example, consider someone who has asthma. It is routine. Go to the doctor for a few minutes, blow a thing, get a prescription for a couple of mass produced inhaleres.

I don't mean to take a combative approach but both you and the President are blaming the solution provider and ignoring the problem. Lets take your example for instance if you believe and I am not disagreeing that asthma is a routine and forseeable expense then why are you looking for insurance to transfer that risk to...

Go to the Dr pay the entire office visit $85 in my area take perscription for flovent to drug store I searched online 1 HFA - 110mcg/act Aerosol 12gm Inhaler $138 now can you get generic sure and if your paying it yourself then you probably do...If you have a $10 copay or some junk you might not...Now remember we have only mentioned one illness and one Drs visit your health insurance carrier can be on the hook once you are approved for $1 million dollars of lifetime coverage or more...the new regulation is removing annual and lifetime caps and my state has already done that so the carrier has no stop loss but you know your policy does you might have a copay for Dr visits and drugs and a deductible $1500-5000 then coinsurance for a max oop of 5K per year but the carriers in my state have no such stop loss...

What you post as routine care for chronic diseases is the perfect point the medical community has allowed people to live an almost normal life without consumers having to give much up, even in different lines of insurance such as life insurance things like high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes is easily underwritten however the cost to treat these routine chronic conditions is not cheap.

Insulin Diabetic 3 Vials HumaLOG - 100unit/ml Solution 10ml Vial $333.20
    does not include syringes

High Blood Pressure Medication Accupril - 40mg Tablets 30 Tablest $62.99

Cholestrol Medication 30 Tablets Lipitor - 80mg Tablets $139.99

These are routine chronic conditions lets not get into injectable cancer medications running at $12,000 per month or Heart attack, strokes and the less common.

People have gotten away from the goal of insurance to transfer the cost of large unforseeable risks to the insurance company so now we have people wanting Co-Pays on Dr visits and routine perscription free preventative care. Does our car insurance provide for the cost of oil changes, tires and other routine maintenance? How about our home insurance policies does it pay to repaint the house?

I know your gonna say he is an insurance agent and is just looking out for his bottom line...And you know what your both wrong and right. As an agent I am in Maine one of the most liberal of states in regard to health insurance, its Guaranteed Issue here...Pre existing conditions are covered as long as there has been no break in coverage longer than 90 days (almost a month longer then Federal rules of 63 days) and even with a break longer than 90 days Pre-Existing conditions must be covered after 1 year. Maine has essentially no Individual Health Market we have essentiall 1 carrier Anthem BC and they require over $1 Million dollars of Premium to be licensed so unless you are a big group person you can't get appointed. Boo Hoo mister insurance agent so you can't make your money on health insurance. Now here is where I say I am concerned about myself....

Guess what I'm also a consumer Maine also requires carriers to offer Group Insurance to Businesses of 1 Life however they are only required to offer 2 state mandated plans last time I checked Premium for just 1 person was over $1300 a month. With just one carrier offering coverage Anthem does not offer co-pay plans up here so most people actually have a 5K or 10K deductible and don't forget Anthem has a Family Deductible of 2X so its 10K/20K for the family out of pocket not to mention the premiums before anything is paid.
    Last edited by Norwayguy; 07-29-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Peter G Langelier
    plangelier@langelierinsurance.com www.langelierinsurance.com
    Licensed Resident Agent Maine Life/Health & Variable Contracts

Default Health Insurance is Expensive

Health insurance is expensive but you must not blam any solution provider just for suggesting medicine, any health product. Health insurance is expensive as cost of medicine is very high.

The health insurance meets normal expenditure as well is meant to meet unexpected expenditure which a person would not normally be able to meet, or would have great difficulty in meeting, without insurance.
    Bad faith insurance claim attorney Darras Law protects policyholders, athletes, seniors with short-term, long-term and individual disability policies.

Senior Member Level 2

You'll have to explain that one.

Super Moderator
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by OhioQuotes View Post
    You'll have to explain that one.
    SPAM! Pure and simple. It doesn't make much sense reading it does it!

New User Level 0

Why is HI so Expensive?

There are many reasons, and it really starts with the crazy amount of malpractice insurance doctors have to pay out, then insurance execs making WAY too much money(millions in bonus in a lot of cases) also it goes to the patient, when some run to the doctor every time they have a runny nose.

You can also look at the drug companies for driving up premiums as they have been raping people (along with the government and some physicians) for years. Of course there are many more factors stemming from these, but that should give you a start.

Member Level 0 iHealthBrokers.com's Avatar

Why is HI so Expensive?

Forget peoples excuses... It's a for profit institution and the companies make ridiculous profits! While there are plenty of factors that increase the insurance companies costs, all companies and individuals within the insurance industry are extremely well paid.
    iHealthBrokers.com
    Toll Free: (866) 260-9829

Small Business Health Insurance Quotes

I want to cover itself with health insurance but I am confused because I can't trust on anyone. So therefore, Can you tell me about any health insurance agency and guys who can do it.
    Last edited by Mark Rosenthal; 12-02-2010 at 11:57 AM.

One category would be the factors that insurance companies take into consideration when evaluating your risk. As with other types of insurance, your health insurance rates are determined by the following:

Your Age. Older people will almost always be charged for a higher health insurance premium than someone considerably younger.
    Your Weight. Individuals with weight issue usually are charged with higher insurance rates. Studies have proven that a person’s body proportions are interrelated with his or her health.
    Your Family’s Health History. Unfortunately, one’s family health history isn’t something that can be changed. Hereditary diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, asthma and cancer are considered when assessing your risk.
    Your Location. People who live in urban areas are charged more for health insurance, than those who live in rural areas. The reasoning behind this is that hospital and medical facilities in the cities charge higher rates than those in the country, and obviously insurance companies in urban areas would have to pay more.
    Your Lifestyle. Someone who engages in extreme sports such as bungee jumping, skydiving, scuba diving will be charged higher health insurance premiums than someone who likes to read books, watch TV or play board games to pass the time. Likewise, smokers, who are considered to be risking their lives every time they light up, will pay more for health insurance than someone who regularly exercises and watches what they eat.
    Your Sex. Research conducted by the National Women’s Law Center has discovered that women have to pay notably more for health insurance than men for the same policies. A healthy 25-year old woman can pay as much as 6 percent to 45 percent more. This is based on the premise that women are more likely to see their doctor more than men especially during their reproductive years. While this is true, men catch up after they reach the 50-year old mark when they are more likely to have chronic problems like heart disease.

If you have any questions about health insurance, just visit this site: http://insureme.us/health-insurance-expensive/
    there are a lot of answered-question here.
    http://learningcenters.us/

Life, Health and Auto INSURANCE
    http://insureme.us/

Senior Member Level 2

Eat right, live right, and with a little luck, your premiums will be low. Oh yea...Don't live in a Northeastern state!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast