Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burst pipe under slab - whats covered?

New User Level 0

Unhappy Burst Pipe under Slab - final answer???

Quote Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
    Looking for some advice:

The claims person said it was not covered since there was no damage internally to the house. I asked if they could cover the cost to repair the floor which the plumber would have to dig up in order to fix the pipe. Their response was no, they do not cover anything unless there is first some evidence of internal damage to the house.

So am I being penalized for finding a leak early before it causes "internal" damage? Why does coverage appear to stop once you hit the slab and the foundation? Is the slab not "internal".

Any advice?
    I have almost exactly the same situation & Liberty Mutual, as well. What was the outcome after the adjuster inspected it? What did it cost you to repair it? I've been quoted around $15,000. That's almost a year's salary for me! I am in tears half the time & p.o.'d the other half. I feel penalized for finding the problem before it caused further damage. I might as well pay a lower premium to get "no coverage". Your experience has at least told me that I am not completely alone, but boy I sure feel like it!

New User Level 0

FrankTheTank,

What was the outcome of your burst pipe under slab insurance claim?

New User Level 0

Ameriprise does not want to cover water leak under the slab in Texas. I am told that this is a special provision for Texas houses. Ameriprise does not want to cover the tile & floor broken / damaged to reach to the leak under the house.

If I ignore the leak and let the water come to the surface, I will be covered. This makes no sense to me.

The cost of fixing the leak, floor, tile can be as much as $10,000. If I am paying this significant amount (not sure yet how), why do I buy house insurance? Any suggestions for me?

New User Level 0

Hello - I don't know if this reply is still relevant because you posted a year ago. I am not an insurance agent or adjuster, however, I have worked in law offices and we had many insurance lawsuits. I suggest you take your policy to an attorney who is very familiar with insurance policies and the laws in Texas. Perhaps your county attorney bar association can give you some referrals. The cost should be minimal, if any. Sometimes when an attorney is on board, and writes a simple letter to the insurance company, the outcome is different than when an insured goes it alone. I have my plumbing under my slab as well and many of my neighbors are getting slab leaks here in California. Good luck to you.

New User Level 0

Default Insurance & Humans speak two different languages

The problem here is Insurance, like attorneys or anyone else who controls your money, speaks its own language that covers its own arese, and human beings with common sense and decency speak another. Trying to have a conversation between the two is futile, because common sense only applies to one side. How many homeowners relate to the guy with the broken pipe and a need to have his dang pipe repaired by insurance? How many eggheads relate to what the adjuster is saying? Nobody-only other adjusters. Hence the problem. Maybe if insurance companies operated with common sense and decency people wouldn't feel like they have to try to rip them off, and they wouldn't feel everyone is trying to. Problem solved. Funny how sense and decency solves so many problems.

New User Level 0

Yeah, start your own dang insurance company that charges people reasonable rates but more importantly, covers people in a common-sense way for reasonable events. Insurance, the legal profession and Washington are so mired in B.S. they can't see straight, and speak a whole different language than normal Americans. Time we threw all of it away and started over with something that makes sense. If people paid me 1000. a year for homeowners' insurance, and this happened, I'd pay out to have it fixed. What do you think insurance companies make every year? Think they can cover a few claims here and there? You betcha.

New User Level 0

Liberty Mutual screwed me over too! I suddenly began having repeat clogging in my main, had it rootered twice, then a camera inspection revealed the pipe in our 1952 home was broken. The plumber reported to Liberty Mutual the pipe was broken under the foundation, and I told the claim adjuster as much also, but our claim officially shows only a 'sewer backup/flood', with no mention of the broken pipe that caused it. Know why? Liberty mutual would have to pay out 4500 for drain access/repair, but only 2000 for replacing soaked carpets. Now I have to chase down people at Liberty Mutual to get them to acknowledge the broken pipe and drain access/repair. ARRRRGHGGHGH!!! I'll be shopping for another insurance company, but I get the feeling they all suck. Suck your money that is.

New User Level 0

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieMTx View Post
    I have almost exactly the same situation & Liberty Mutual, as well. What was the outcome after the adjuster inspected it? What did it cost you to repair it? I've been quoted around $15,000. That's almost a year's salary for me! I am in tears half the time & p.o.'d the other half. I feel penalized for finding the problem before it caused further damage. I might as well pay a lower premium to get "no coverage". Your experience has at least told me that I am not completely alone, but boy I sure feel like it!

WHY DO WE PAY INSURANCE? SO WE CAN HAVE A NORMAL NICE LIFE. We hope nothing bad will happen, but if it does, there's our insurance, right? Their 'value' they offer is in their name=INSURANCE. Against bad things happening. Its only AFTER bad things happen you find our all their 'legal-ese' they hide behind to wriggle out of making bad things right again. Yet they take in millions from hundreds of thousands of people, and only have to pay out here and there. Their expenses are an office full of eggheads to tell you this. Why can't insurance operate sensibly and mercifully and still turn a decent profit?

New User Level 0

I also had a water line break under the basement concrete floor about 9 feet from where it came out of floor into meter. Same thing: insurance told me since it was not inside house it wasn't covered. Had to have new water line installed, $2k. Story of my life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12