Thread: Doctor sending personal bill after insurance covered 75% of bill?

New User Level 0

Default Doctor sending personal bill after insurance covered 75% of bill?

I was wondering if it is illegal for my ENT doctor to bill me personally after my Insurance only paid them 75% of what they billed the insurance. Prior to my visit in March I was never told that I would have any other payments to make nor did I have any papers to sign regarding it.

I visited in March and now they are billing me again in June 2010? Isn't there suppose to be a doctor's write-off?

I have never had any doctor or dentist do this before and the insurance never pays them fully ever.

Super Moderator
    Level 10

The doctor can do that unless he has an agreement with the insurance compamy to accept what they pay. It is not common but not unheard of either.

Senior Member Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by christran View Post
    I was wondering if it is illegal for my ENT doctor to bill me personally after my Insurance only paid them 75% of what they billed the insurance. Prior to my visit in March I was never told that I would have any other payments to make nor did I have any papers to sign regarding it.
    Like most people you probably have never read your plan or policy and have no clue as to the coverages, terms, and conditions.

Nobody has to "tell" you anything, it's all in your policy. You need to read it and be prepared for billing contingencies.

I visited in March and now they are billing me again in June 2010? Isn't there suppose to be a doctor's write-off?
    That depends on the terms and conditions of the plan or policy. But, no, not usually.

I have never had any doctor or dentist do this before and the insurance never pays them fully ever.
    That doesn't obligate your current doctor to waive the bill.

If your policy doesn't cover it you'll need to pay it or be sent to collections and possibly sued.