Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-renewal of homeowner's insurance

New User Level 0

Default Non-renewal of homeowner's insurance

I bought my home in 2007 and had no problems with my home until 2009, when my toilet seal in master bath went bad and leaked flooding my master bath, master bedroom, and dining room. Filed a claim, had many problems with my insurance company giving me substandard estimates on replacement of flooring, etc....what not was originally in home. Many arguements with adjuster, etc.... finally got the house fixed which I paid for out of pocket for many things to bring home back to original condition.
    Last month I got a notice that my policies for homeowner's and auto was not going to be renewed as they said my home was not my primary home. I travel alot and am gone sometimes for weeks. Now I am working closer to home and get home on weekends as much as possible. Work in the area isn't condusive to living (low wages), and as I work construction I go where the work is.
    They are telling me that I am not insurable as I had a claim on the policy with other insurance companies. What can I do? I cannot believe the insurance companies are basically telling me that I have to work at home and may be forced to quit my good paying position and find a menial job at home that will put me in financial crisis.
    Can anyone help me. I have never had an auto claim (a few speeding tickets) and never had a homeowner's claim until this happened (also first time homeowner).

Senior Member Level 3

Unfortunately, leaving your home unattended for weeks at a time makes it a high risk.

There are plenty of companies that will insure your home, you'll just pay more for the policy.

That your insurance company non-renewed your home and auto insurance is a good argument for using different companies for your home and auto.

New User Level 0

Quote Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
    Unfortunately, leaving your home unattended for weeks at a time makes it a high risk.

There are plenty of companies that will insure your home, you'll just pay more for the policy.

That your insurance company non-renewed your home and auto insurance is a good argument for using different companies for your home and auto.
    What i don't understand is if you own several homes and cannot obviously live in all primarily, then how can an insurance company deny insurance?

Super Moderator
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by tlpowers1979 View Post
    What i don't understand is if you own several homes and cannot obviously live in all primarily, then how can an insurance company deny insurance?
    An insurance company has no obligation to insure anyone. They can establish whatever underwriting guidelines that they see fit. They are in the business not to write insurance no matter what but to write business that will be PROFITABLE. Vacant homes are difficult and expensive to insure. If it were myself I would simply shop my coverage with several different agents and see who gives me the best offer. The insurance company that is dropping you wasn't Allstate was it?

New User Level 0

No, it was Kemper (Unitrin Company).

Senior Member Level 3

There are many insurance companies that write insurance on people with multiple and seasonal residences.

The differences are that the insurance companies know about it up front and provide appropriate pricing and coverage.

And the people who don't live in their seasonal house for weeks or months at a time take precautions like installing burglar alarms, not leaving much of value, turning off the water and winterizing the pipes so they don't freeze.

If you had turned off your water at the main valve when you left, you wouldn't be having this problem.

New User Level 0

I did take precautions with my home. Being that I live in North Carolina towards the east coast and I left in March, the weather was good and stayed good. The only thing I did not do was turn the house water off, which I do now. And I do have security for my home. The adjuster was upset that he was caught in his own lies (his own pictures of the damages proved it), but in all they dropped me because of the claim. I think it's a crock that you "have" to have insurance and when you need it, they fight you all the way, as well as I had replacement cost on my home and he figured it at actual value. Which showed major depreciation.....after several months and as well as he didn't want to replace the ruined furniture, etc. they finally settled with some costs back to me to replace furniture. I did all that they asked and yet I was treated as if it was a burden to get my home repaired and back to where it was.
    He thought because I was a woman that I wouldn't understand the construction or the materials he stated had to be used. But, he didn't figure on that I have been in construction for over 20 years and have built homes for a living. I knew the costs as well as the rest of it. They try to cheat you in every way they can, and it should be fair. My insurance broker knew from the beginning that I work on the road, as well as the insurance company. There are instances that I may work a job where I can stay home but that isn't often.
    Last edited by tlpowers1979; 06-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Senior Member Level 3

I had replacement cost on my home and he figured it at actual value. Which showed major depreciation.
    Did you not understand that the depreciation was a holdback that gets paid when you complete all the repairs and submit the paid receipts?

Member Level 0

I would check with State Auto, Travelers and Met Life. Trust me I have written people with previous claims such as your describing, and its not pretty. You might even have to get into a DP-3 policy and beef it up with coverages.

Are you gone then more then 8 weeks at a time at your primary location?
    Mark A. Schneider
    Denvers Insurance &
    The Ahbe Group http://denversinsurance.com http://denversinsuranceblog.com Fully licensed in Property, Casualty & Life In Colorado, USA.

Banned Level 0

Rules are set by the insurance company. Whatever they find suitable is made the rule. They set guidelines to our advantage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast