Thread: Help please with first time roofing claim..I am sooo lost and confused.

New User Level 0

Default Help please with first time roofing claim..I am sooo lost and confused.

I can't seem to get a straight answer regarding the roofing situation with my insurance company.
    Adjuster gave me check for 8,600.00 (after depreciation and deductable).
    I am getting quotes ranging from 6,500.00 up to 14,000 for full replacement of roof. Insurance adjuster said I will get a final depreciation check when work is done but he is not sure if I get money or mortgage company will get it.

My questions are..
    Since they already deducted my deductable from the paid amount on the insurance adjusters sheet and check,t does that mean the deductable is paid then? Or do I still have to come up with the money even though they took it out of the figures already?

What happens if I go with a company that is higher than what my insurance gave me? Do they work together to get the figures to match or am I stuck paying the difference? Also where does the depreciation check come into this.

IS the depreciation check for the repairs or does that money just go to me for the depreciated value of the roof now?

I have the insurance check and am waiting for my stupid mortgage people to send me all of the necessary papers to file the claim...should I have already sent them the check endorsed??? They said THEY will keep check and make the payments to the contractor in thirds...

Thank you kindly

Senior Member Level 3

I'm a retired property claims adjuster and can answer all of your questions.

When you were sent the check you were given a worksheet showing all the calculations.

I need you to reproduce ALL of the figures on the worksheet exactly as written, so I can answer your questions based on your actual settlement. Also provide your city and state so I can check local costs in my estimating software.

If you have a scanner it might be easier for you to scan the worksheet as a jpg photo and upload it with your next message.

Either way, I'm looking forward to assisting you.

New User Level 0

Default I do not have a scanner so sorry

I will go through the papers and transcribe what is on them...There are so many figures as there is also an estimate for interior water damage on there also. Thank you..
    Regardless I have only received 1 hard copy of a quote for the job out of the 3 that have some to look at the job...
    its been two weeks and I am so disqusted that they just can't get around to "dropping" off the bid...I guess they don't want the work. Sears is the only one that gave me a hard quote on paper...and I am finding out they are not the best to go with as they are VERY much higher than what the adjuster quoted..

Senior Member Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by willowoman View Post
    I will go through the papers and transcribe what is on them...There are so many figures as there is also an estimate for interior water damage on there also. Thank you..
    It might be a lot of work but it would help if you transcribed everything. The roof calculations might be in one section but there may be calculations at the end that combine the roof and the interior for additional calculations.

Regardless I have only received 1 hard copy of a quote for the job out of the 3 that have some to look at the job...its been two weeks and I am so disqusted that they just can't get around to "dropping" off the bid...I guess they don't want the work.
    Contractors are a strange breed. That's how they operate. Their bids can be all over the map and their attention is on what they are doing today that they are getting paid for.

Sears is the only one that gave me a hard quote on paper...and I am finding out they are not the best to go with as they are VERY much higher than what the adjuster quoted..
    What you have to understand about Sears is that Sears is not the contractor that's bidding on fixing your house. Sears has arrangements with local contractors to refer them for the work. Those contractors charge more because they rely on the Sears name to convince customers to go along with high prices. They may even pay a lot to Sears for the referral.

Don't forget: City and State, please, when you come back.
    Last edited by adjusterjack; 05-31-2010 at 06:17 PM.

New User Level 0

I prefer to send them to you privately but I noticed that this does not let you add attachments when you send someone a private message...how can I get these to you without them being posted on this board?

Senior Member Level 3

See your PM.

New User Level 0

Thanks for your input. Never thought that there could be experiences as such. Luckily, the company who takes care of my roofing in austin helped me a lot. Thanks for posting this information. I learned a lot from your inputs.

Banned Level 0

As far as I know, they should have removed the deductables already. And yes, you will have to reconcile the figures with the company in order to get the correct amount.

New User Level 0

Hi everyone....I renovate my home last year,But the material used in the roof was not good , And after rain the roof of my house becoming very week, There are little holes in the roof and the water come out from them..What I should do? Should I sue the company from where I brought the material or I should ask to refund my money...?

Banned Level 0

This place does not let you add attachments. But I don't want to send the materials to you openly on the board. How do I do it?