Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Individual Health Insurance

New User Level 0

Default Individual Health Insurance

I am an IT Professional and have been out of work for over a year. I am happy with my COBRA but it only lasts for 18 months. I hope to get a job soon but if I don't get a job or get a job without benefits, I will have to get an individual health plan. I live in New York.

I have been looking at the costs of individual health plans in New York State and they are prohibitive. I may or may not qualify for certain options like Healthy New York or Medicaid but prefer a more comprehensive policy like I have now.

Does anyone know of any groups I can belong to that may give me a quality policy at a reasonable price. Another thing I'd take is a high deductible catastrophic policy but after say a $6,000 deductible is met, everything is covered.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

New User Level 0

Default Health Insurance

The best way to get health insurance is through your employer as part of a "group health insurance" plan. You'll often have broader benefits than if you were to buy a plan yourself on the open market.

Another option is to buy an "individual" health plan. Despite its name, an individual health plan can cover your whole family. Individual health plans will be priced based on your medical history and can exclude pre-existing conditions from coverage. Read tips for buying individual health coverage.

See if your state's insurance department has a health insurance shopper's brochure that lists health plans and comparative costs. Also, if your state mandates "guaranteed issue" plans, you'll be able to buy an individual health plan no matter what your medical conditions are. The Kaiser Family Foundation tracks which states mandate guaranteed issue health plans.

New User Level 0

Quote Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
    I am an IT Professional and have been out of work for over a year. I am happy with my COBRA but it only lasts for 18 months. I hope to get a job soon but if I don't get a job or get a job without benefits, I will have to get an individual health plan. I live in New York.

I have been looking at the costs of individual health plans in New York State and they are prohibitive. I may or may not qualify for certain options like Healthy New York or Medicaid but prefer a more comprehensive policy like I have now.

Does anyone know of any groups I can belong to that may give me a quality policy at a reasonable price. Another thing I'd take is a high deductible catastrophic policy but after say a $6,000 deductible is met, everything is covered.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
    At least a month or two before your COBRA runs out start shopping for insurance. Underwriting can take a few weeks at times. Also you may want to look at short term insurance.

Senior Member Level 2

Contact a local experienced broker.

New User Level 0

Begin your search online, there are many online insurance agencies which may help you, or contact some local agent.

Senior Member Level 3

Check out the ITAA website. It's an information technology trade association. It appears that there is a medical insurance program available to members. It's worth a look.

http://www.techamerica.org/insurance-services

I would also google trade associations related to your field. There are probably others.

New User Level 0

Default Re: Individual Health Insurance

You can check ehealthinsurance.com, it's the best online health exchange in the country. You might also want to look into Consumer Directed Health Plans such as an Health Savings Account (HSA). These accounts work with a high deductible plan and give you greater control over your healthcare providers as well as how you pay. You're more or less directing your own healthcare and seeing the doctors you wish to see. These type plans are becoming increasingly popular with consumers, and more employers are offering them as well. Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by igorvolseo View Post
    hi.
    i know one website name is http://www.healthinsurancebluebook.com your all query for "individual" health insurance plan.so you see this website.
    Is it Igorvolseo or IGNORANTvolseo? Is your answer to every post to post your website. You have four posts and that is all you have done. Sure you want your websiste out there but tell us something worthwhile.
    Last edited by xrac; 07-22-2010 at 10:49 AM.

New User Level 0

Default social geniuses

Quote Originally Posted by john smith View Post
    Individual health plans will be priced based on your medical history and can exclude pre-existing conditions from coverage.

Also, if your state mandates "guaranteed issue" plans, you'll be able to buy an individual health plan no matter what your medical conditions are. The Kaiser Family Foundation tracks which states mandate guaranteed issue health plans.
    Question: I guess now pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied, right?
    Last edited by iyartigtf; 07-24-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: I was kidding and no one is replying. Change to make reply-able.

New User Level 0

I believe The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan will begin accepting applications in many states on Thursday, with coverage available as early as Aug. 1, an administration official said Tuesday. And we Consumers can check availability in our states on a new website, healthcare.gov, starting Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast