Thread: Cancelled before policy even took effect!

New User Level 0

Default Cancelled before policy even took effect!

My previous homeowners insurance company, AAA, stopped writing policies in my state so I had to find another company. I found a company that had a good rate and good coverage, and found they were rated well so I signed up.

The policy was to begin on 02/28/2010, and they took the full year premium from the mortgage escrow on 01/20/2010. They sent me my policy, welcome letter, etc, and everything looked fine.

On 02/27/2010, I received a letter from them stating my policy would be cancelled effective 03/29/2010! I got that letter 1 day before the policy took effect! The reason they gave was "Underwriting Reasons." I got this letter on a Saturday so I couldn't call my agent, but I FAXed her a copy and hope to hear back from her on Monday morning.

I'm not sure what to do now, and will this cancellation hurt me when I try to get insurance with another company. I had my previous policy 9 years and never filed a claim, and this policy, didn't even get a chance to because it hadn't taken effect yet. In addition, I want the money they took from my mortgage escrow to be refunded to me.

I need guidance on this. Please help.

John Drake

New User Level 0

Default Escrow

You should be getting a check for the full premium refund.

New User Level 0

If I'm getting a new insurance for my car, what are the things that i need to consider?? I'm not quite familiar with premium insurance.. Need advice here.. Thanks in advance..

New User Level 0

Yes you should ask for the full refund.. as long as you have the policy and other supporting documents, you have all the right to demand...